FAVORITE GLOBAL SPORTING EVENT?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The All Blacks Haka

After watching some of the Addidas commercials featuring the Haka that the All Blacks perform before games I was interested in the motions and words they said and what these meant or resembled. After a little research this is what I found. 


The Haka is a traditional Maori war dance from New Zealand. Suprising to me the Haka that the All Blacks perform is not the only one. There are thousands of Haka performed by many different tribes and cultures. The one that they perform is called "Ka Mate". It is the most popular haka to perform in New Zealand and is the most commonly seen. It usually is performed before sporting events and even before conferences and meetings. It was adopted by the New Zealand National Rugby Union and has been performed at every event since 1906. It is also performed by New Zealands other national teams such as the Tall Blacks (Basketball) and the Ice Blacks (Hockey).


The "Ka Mate" haka is commonly said to have been composed by Te Rauparaha of Ngāti Toa to commemorate his escape from death during an incident in 1810. Chased by his enemies he hid in a food-storage pit under the skirt of a woman. He climbed out to find someone standing over him, who, instead of killing Te Rauparaha, turned out to be another chief friendly to him. In relief Te Rauparaha performed this ancient haka, which had been performed all through Aotearoa for centuries (Ko Nga Moteatea, 1853). 


This is the translation of the Haka:


(Te Rauparaha)
The first part is called by the leader…
Ringa pakia (Slap the hands against the thighs)
Uma tiraha (Puff out the chest)
Turi whatia (Bend the knees)
Hope whai ake (Let the hip follow)
Waewae takahia kia kino (Stamp the feet as hard as you can)
The shared chant…
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
(I die! I die! I live! I live!)
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
(I die! I die! I live! I live!)
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
(This is the hairy man)
Nana nei i tiki mai
(Who fetched the Sun)
Whakawhiti te ra
(And caused it to shine again)

A upa … ne! ka upa … ne!
(One upward step! Another upward step!)
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
(An upward step, another.. the Sun shines !!!)
Hi !!!
Here is the link to watch the video of a pre game haka by the All Blacks:
http://youtu.be/tdMCAV6Yd0Y

2 comments:

  1. Torey-

    Thanks for the information on the Haka. I was wondering what they were chanting during it, it's basically instructions untill the end. Have you ever seen a Haka performed live? It's pretty intense. The videos we've seen in class doesn't give it justice as to how intimidating it really is.
    -Derek Flores

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have never seen a Haka performed live but if its even more intense than in the videos I cant imagine. How does the crowd react when they are doing it or after they have finished. I feel like if I was a fan it would get me just as fired up as them. And if I were the opposing team watching that I feel like it would be a huge intimidation factor.

    -Torey Brummett

    ReplyDelete